1MX London Music Festival 2023 mixes top Filipino music artists with hot international acts.
As giant music festivals around the world are fast becoming more identical in look, sound, feel and high-ticket prices, niche music festivals that mostly offer one-day fests of dedicated themes are now growing rapidly in popularity.
“1MX London Music Festival 2023” — scheduled this July 8, Saturday, at the new outdoor venue Dockyards in East London’s historic Royal Docks –- is one of the ultra-cool smaller festivals that are finding global audiences. A globetrotting festival brand highlighting Asian artists and has travelled to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, and Manila, 1MX made its debut in London in 2022 mixing Filipino headliners with U.K.-based Asian music artists. The very encouraging reception led to this year’s return to the city with a top-notch cast to perform live in one of the world’s hottest music venues.
Headlining “1MX London Music Festival 2023” at the Dockyards is the following combustible line-up of exciting Filipino and international artists:
- Ben&Ben– This talented folk-pop band from the Philippines has been wowing audiences since 2017 with chart-topping hits like “Kathang Isip” and “Maybe the Night,” to name a few. They were named Spotify’s Most Streamed Artist in the Philippines in 2020 and won numerous awards. With a unique approach to songwriting, all band members of Ben&Ben collaborate on each song’s lyrics and music. They combine electric and acoustic instruments, such as violins and guitars, to create their distinctive sound.
- Yuna – This award-winning Pop R&B artist from Kuala Lumpur known for her jazz-inflected style rose to prominence in 2008 with her breakthrough hit, “Deeper Conversation” which won Best Song at the Malaysian equivalent of the Grammys. She has recorded with international music names Jhene Aiko, Usher, and Pink Sweat$, played festivals such as with Lollapalooza, Camp Flog Gnaw, charted in the Billboard U.S R&B charts, performed on popular talk shows like Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and Late Night with Seth Myers, and produced hits that earned raves from big music industry publications.
- Moira– This multi-awarded singer-songwriter and the Philippines’ Most Streamed Filipina Artist for six consecutive years has been making it as one of the most successful Filipino singer-songwriters in recent years. She dropped hit after hit to the adoration of millions of fans worldwide. Moira’s achievements continued to soar as she held her first sold-out concert, “Tagpuan,” which featured her hit singles “Malaya” and “Tagpuan.” This year she was able to reach a milestone with more than 1.2 billion streams on Spotify, solidifying her position as the Filipina voice of this generation. Her album “Malaya” was certified 8× Platinum.
- Johnny Orlando– Toronto-born singer-songwriter Johnny Orlando is this generation’s rising pop superstar impacting a global music stage. Orlando has amassed over 2 billion streams, and a social media following of over 28 million+ engaged fans worldwide. At 20 years of age, Orlando’s music has generated over 2 billion global streams and acclaim from the likes of Billboard, Variety, Paper, Teen Vogue, and more. Along the way, Orlando garnered nominations for Breakthrough Artist of the Year & Pop Album of the Year at JUNO Awards, as well as three consecutive wins for Best Canadian Act at the MTV European Music Awards.
- Janine Berdin– She is a multi-talented Filipino artist who skyrocketed to stardom after winning the grand championship of the popular singing competition, Tawag ng Tanghalan, on It’s Showtime. In 2018, Berdin signed with TNT Records under Star Music, where she released her carrier single “Biyaya,” written by Chochay Magno. Her participation in the TNT All-Star Showdown at the Araneta Coliseum drew massive crowds and fanfare, cementing her status as one of the headlining performers. She also won the Star Music Listeners Choice Award and 4th best song for the Himig Handog 2018 P-Pop Love Songs for her rendition of “Mas Mabuti Pa.” Her success continued as her 2022 single with Adie, “Mahika,” peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Philippines Songs chart,
- Maymay– She is a Filipina actress, singer, host, and model who won hearts and emerged as Pinoy Big Brother: Lucky 7 Big Winner in 2017. After her TV debut, Maymay signed a recording contract with Star Music and launched her eponymous debut album at a star-studded Skydome event. The album received gold and platinum certifications from the Philippine Association of Record Industry. Maymay is also a fashion icon and an accomplished host. In 2018, she made history as the first Filipina to walk the runway during the Arab Fashion Week strutting clothes by the famous Filipino designer Furne One Amato of Amato Couture in Dubai. Today, Maymay is a rising star in the music industry. She has been nominated in the Best Asia Act category at the 2022 MTV EMA for her hit song “Amakabogera.”
- Clara Rosa– Born in the Philippines but raised in the U.K., DJ Clara Rosa’s multi-cultural upbringing birthed a unique blend of musical influences to her sets. Also an instrumentalist and music producer, her sets are characterized by a fusion of genres that include Amapiano, Baile Funk, Dance Funk House, UKG, Jersey Club and Latin Urbano. The sets bring the rhythms and melodies of her cultural roots with the contemporary sounds of the London club scene, creating an electric atmosphere that keeps the dance floor moving.
“1MX is not here to overwhelm you or overload your senses like in giant music festivals; 1MX is a compact Asian music bowl of a festival seasoned with global flavors, served in the right amounts,” said ABS-CBN Global Head of Events Joseph Arnie Garcia, also concurrently ABS-CBN Managing Director for Europe, Middle East and North Africa.
Garcia added: “Our format is straightforward: exciting established and emerging Filipino artists mixed with equally exciting established and emerging international acts. Combine this clear talent showcase with the local cultural offerings of food, drinks, and the like and you have a guaranteed memorable, delightful, connected and more fulfilling one music experience.”