CMT Listen Up Artist, Amazon Music USA ‘Artist to Watch,’ and Pandora ‘Artist to Watch,’ Frank Ray today releases his most unique body of work yet – his self-titled debut label album Frank Ray – via BBR Music Group/Stoney Creek Records.
Produced by Frank Rogers (Brad Paisley, Scotty McCreery), Frank Ray seamlessly intermixes a traditional Country sound with R&B and touches of Frank’s Latin heritage. The album features 15 tracks – 13 of which were co-written by the rising star.
“Country has always been the music that’s closest to my heart. It’s always been like my comfort food for my soul,” says Ray. “With that said, it’s also been fun to incorporate different elements of who I am into this new music. This project stays true to my heritage and upbringing, fusing a Latin flair, cool and funky arrangements, Classic Rock and R&B grooves alongside 90s Country inspired barstool songs. And there are definitely some high-energy party anthems to boot!”
“My intention was always to come into Country music with something refreshing, different and new. This album has always been my dream – to put out a body of work at mainstream Country music as a signed artist that isn’t just MY contribution to Country music, it’s also hopefully paving the way for other Hispanic artists to come into the format,” continues Ray.
Hot off a national tour supporting Old Dominion, Ray continues crisscrossing the U.S this summer, performing at some of the biggest festivals in the country including Milwaukee’s Summerfest (7/7); Nebraska’s MRL Country Music Festival (20/7); Wisconsin’s Country Jam (21/7) and Country Thunder (22/7); Colorado’s Ski Hi Stampede (27/7) and Ohio’s Voices of America Country Music Festival (11/8).
The star heads back to Nashville on Thursday, 13 July, to perform an album release show for fans at Ole Red – Nashville, in the heart of downtown. The show is free and begins at 6pm CST. For those that can’t attend, the album release show will be livestreamed across Circle All Access’ Facebook and YouTube channels (12am UK time).
“Looking to stretch Country music’s cultural boundaries,” (Los Angeles Times) with a sound praised as “easygoing contemporary Country with Pop-Soul hooks and a dash of Southwestern spice” (Rolling Stone), the rhythmic project opens with the anthemic ‘Streetlights’ that showcases his Latin roots, perfectly setting the tone for what to expect throughout the rest of the project. Followed by the catchy ‘Country’d Look Good On You’ and lively, party-starter ‘Y’all Showed Up’, Ray cranks it up, illustrating his innate ability to cross over from country into R&B and beyond.
Applauded by CMT for placing “his knack for songwriting on full display,” the kiss-off anthem ‘Somebody Else’s Whiskey’ is currently climbing the county radio charts. The song finds the “smooth-voiced crooner” (Billboard) celebrating the freedom and excitement felt after ending a relationship, knowing your ex is finally drinking “Somebody Else’s Whiskey.”
Intermixing fun and sultry Latin vibes, standout track ‘Wasting Your Words’, finds Rolling Stone’s ‘Artist to Watch’ painting a vivid picture of how a couple keeps their spark alive, despite distance.
Ray also pays tribute to country music’s greatest legends like Dolly, George, Waylon and more in the nostalgic ‘Back Before My Time’. From the wailing pedal steel to the rollicking guitar licks, the good-time track transports you back to Country music’s glory days, before rounding out the project with ‘Party with Strangers’, which perfectly captures who Frank Ray is – a guy who turns strangers into immediate lifelong friends.
Frank Ray track listing:
1. Streetlights – Frank Ray, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Rogers
2. Country’d Look Good On You – Derek George, Monty Criswell, Taylor Phillips, Cole Taylor
3. Y’all Showed Up – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
4. Somebody Else’s Whiskey – Derek George, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
5. Late – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
6. Wasting Your Words – Monty Criswell, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
7. Out On Me – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
8. We Got Em – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
9. Prettiest Girl At The Bar – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
10. Spring Break – Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray
11. Let It Drop – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
12. Back Before My Time – Monty Criswell, Derek George, Frank Ray
13. Learn Something New – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
14. Big Fan – Jeremy Bussey, Monty Criswell, Derek George, Bobby Hamrick, Frank Ray, Frank Rogers
15. Party With Strangers – Bobby Hamrick, James Slater, Jamie Paulin